Sunday, July 5, 2015

Michael's Dolce Root Beer Syrup

My girlfriend found out about a new product in town when she came across this article in the Ottawa Citizen. When I learned there was someone passionate about root beer in my own city, I just had to seek him out.   

The brain behind Michael's Dolce Root Beer Syrup is Michael Sunderland.  He is the founder, proprietor and confectioner of Michael's Dolce in Ottawa, ON.

I met Michael today while visiting the Ottawa Farmer's Market at Lansdowne.  He has a booth setup where he sells various jams as well as his root beer syrup.  I sampled a glass of his root beer (sold on site for $4 a cup).  The root beer syrup is mixed with carbonated soda water and served on ice in a 12 ounce cup.   The flavor profile is built using natural ingredients such as star anise, ginger, cloves, orange peel, chicory and wintergreen.  It is also sweetened with sugar.   The bite on this root beer is fantastic and is very well balanced.  Too bad there isn't a nice head to go along with this wonderful beverage as it was the only thing missing.  However, I don't know if it is fair to compare this to other artisan bottled root beers.  Perhaps I need to start blogging about root beer syrups and extracts. :)    Michael, take a bow though, you have something really delicious there and hence why I bought a bottle of syrup to take home with me.   I'll be back for more!

Burp Rating:  9.5 / 10    




No comments:

Post a Comment